Unless you are living under a rock, you have probably heard of the popular game called pickleball. This combination of tennis, badminton and ping pong is taking the country by storm because it is easy to understand and fun to play for all ages. It is played on a court similar to a tennis court with a low net, a Wiffle ball and rackets that look like giant ping pong paddles. Ready to find out more?
What do dads have to do with pickleball?
Believe it or not, we owe the brilliance of pickleball to a group of dads in Bainbridge Island, Washington who were trying to keep their bored kids entertained during the summer months. All the parents out there can surely relate. In their quest for some quiet time, these dads used homemade equipment and some simple rules to get their kids started. What they came up with became a game that entire families could enjoy together. Now, pickleball has become an international sensation and can even be found in the Olympics!
Why the pickleball hype?
Perhaps one of the reasons as to why pickleball has spread like wildfire in recent years is due to the ease at which players can learn the rules and then get right into playing the game. Here is what you need to know to start playing:
- The game can be played with singles (one person on each side of the net) or doubles (two people on each side of the net)
- Decide who will serve first
- Use underhand or drop serves to get the ball over the net and cross court
- There is a two-bounce rule, meaning the serve and return must both bounce
- From there, you are free to hit the ball across the net on a bounce or not
- A volley continues until someone makes a fault by hitting the ball out of bounds, letting it bounce more than once, or hitting it into the net
To learn more about scoring and other rules about pickleball, head to the USA Pickleball website.
Join us for a pickleball match!
Ready to take on your opponents (and friends) in a rousing match of pickleball? Join us at the Hancock Health Wellness Centers in New Palestine or Greenfield to try your hand at this fun and social game!
Hancock Wellness Center New Palestine Schedule
Attend the 8-10:15 a.m. clinic on Mondays for $10 per day. Here you will learn rules, perform drills and more! Or enjoy open court hours:
- Tuesdays from 7-8 p.m.
- Wednesdays from 6-7:45 p.m.
- Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Fridays from 7-9 a.m.
- Saturdays 8-10 a.m.
Hancock Wellness Center Greenfield Schedule
Greenfield offers open court hours at the following times:
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Sundays 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Whether you are trying to have fun with your family or you want to find an exciting new way to workout, pickleball is a sport that will leave you coming back for more. Playing ranges from a fun, social opportunity to matches and competitions. Beginners are always welcome!